Skip to main content

Week 11

Essential Question: How will you format and disseminate your research?

As I have already written a decent amount of my final action research project, I will have the headings of Introduction, Project Description, Literature Review, Description of Methods and Implementation, Data Collected with Analysis, and Conclusion with Reflection.

My introduction discusses the why behind my action research project. The purpose of this project is to conduct action research into the application of technology to continue learning during this unprecedented time of the COVID-19 global pandemic. I have decided to conduct research during this pandemic by gathering information from my colleagues and students about their use of technology, comfort level with technology, and where they obtain help from during this remote learning time.

My project description explains my goals and how I plan to achieve them. This will be done through a survey of WPSD middle school and high school teachers and about 55 WHS students. My survey includes a variety of questions directed towards investigating the following questions:
  • Which technology tools proved most effective for digital education at secondary level?
  • Where teachers and students obtained technology support during the transitional time to remote teaching?
  • If and how the comfort level of using technology changed from the beginning to the end of the experience for teachers and students?
My literature review summarizes several different studies about using technology-enhanced learning. My primary goal was to learn more about the use of technology during the COVID-19 global pandemic. I plan to use the knowledge gained about technology integration in the classroom to improve my curriculum so that it is project-based, relevant, and engaging. Most importantly, I want to understand the best educational technology tools available in order to provide students with meaningful opportunities during possible future school closures that require distance education. 

My description of methods explains my role as a teacher during the COVID-19 school closure. It also includes the surveys that I created and sent out to my colleagues and students.

My data collected with analysis is information extracted from the surveys. The first survey was given at the beginning of the implementation of remote learning and the second was sent near the end of the school year. Both surveys included questions about their use of technology, comfort level with technology, and where they obtained help from during the period of remote learning. I took data from the first round of surveys and compare that to the data of the second round of surveys. 

Lastly will be my conclusion with reflection. This is the only part I have remaining, but my plan is to write a clear concluding paragraph about the data that was generated. Then compare that to the data that Amanda Gray obtained at the elementary level. And finally reflect on how this project went and how it can be used in the future. At this point, I think this information could be critical as we prepare our "Smart Start" plans throughout the state. I would love to see our action research published for districts everywhere to use as they plan for the future.

Comments

  1. Good work. It is difficult to really do all of this in conjunction with writing the report, but you are doing a very good job.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2

Essential Question: How is Qualitative Research a good lens through which to view classroom research? Qualitative research is “any kind of research that produces findings that are not arrived by means of statistical procedures or other means of quantification” (Hatch, 2002). Qualitative research is a good lens through which to view classroom research because it allows us to look at our students as more than just numbers. "Qualitative research focuses in understanding a research query as a humanistic or idealistic approach" (Kalra et al., 2013). It is used to "understand people's beliefs, experiences, attitudes, behavior, and interactions [and it] gives voice to the participants in the study. It permits the participants to share their experiences" (Kalra et al., 2013). The goal of classroom research is to better understand how effectively we teach our students and provide us with information to change future practices in order to improve. "It is no...

Week 12

Essential Question: What are the characteristics of an engaging Action Research Report? I had a difficult time finding a clear answer to this essential question because action research is meant to inform the researching educator about how to make improvements for their students. Craig Mertler asks educators to consider the following question while planning their action research projects: “Why would you want to try to answer your questions or solve your problems about your students and your teaching by using someone else's methods, data, and results?” (2013). So what is an engaging action research project to one person might not be to the next, but if it helps them improve their instruction in their classroom then I would call it a success! With that being said, there are some common characteristics of action research that I found while researching. According to Melinda Kolk (n.d.), action research is a cycle of inquiry and reflection in which you will determine 1) where you a...